Start a new topic
Answered

How to use a windows runtime without a service

Hello,

We found out that the installEngineAsService script is deprecated since the 2023.2 version.

So how can we start a runtime without opening a session and run startengine.bat ?

Sincerely,

Laurent

Best Answer

Hi Laurent,

You're right, the script for installing the runtime as a Windows Service is no longer available since 2023.2 MS (and therefore unavailable in 2024.1 LTS). However, there are a number of ways of restoring a similar mechanism :

• You can create your own Windows Service installation script : Even if the script is no longer available in the runtime installation, you can create your own script. To do this, I suggest you look for the best solution in the features offered by Windows.
  • You can always use Delivery's startup functions with the startdelivery.bat command, which will start a runtime without an active runtime on your machine.
  • Finally, the last solution is to create a Windows scheduled task that will open the location containing the startengine.bat and launch it :

Be careful to specify the account that will be able to connect and run this script without having a Windows session already opened :

Important point : If you no longer want to be limited by Windows mechanics, you can also start working on a containerized environment : official Docker images for the runtime, analytics and license server are now available and allow you to have this flexibility. Docker containers can be easily managed (start, stop, restart, etc.), and this solution could be envisaged without having to worry about installation as a service.
For more information about Semarchy Docker images, please visit this page : https://hub.docker.com/u/semarchy

Answer

Hi Laurent,

You're right, the script for installing the runtime as a Windows Service is no longer available since 2023.2 MS (and therefore unavailable in 2024.1 LTS). However, there are a number of ways of restoring a similar mechanism :

• You can create your own Windows Service installation script : Even if the script is no longer available in the runtime installation, you can create your own script. To do this, I suggest you look for the best solution in the features offered by Windows.
  • You can always use Delivery's startup functions with the startdelivery.bat command, which will start a runtime without an active runtime on your machine.
  • Finally, the last solution is to create a Windows scheduled task that will open the location containing the startengine.bat and launch it :

Be careful to specify the account that will be able to connect and run this script without having a Windows session already opened :

Important point : If you no longer want to be limited by Windows mechanics, you can also start working on a containerized environment : official Docker images for the runtime, analytics and license server are now available and allow you to have this flexibility. Docker containers can be easily managed (start, stop, restart, etc.), and this solution could be envisaged without having to worry about installation as a service.
For more information about Semarchy Docker images, please visit this page : https://hub.docker.com/u/semarchy

1 person likes this

Hello,

I tried to use a Windows scheduled task to run the runtime, but I did not managed to make it work.

I used a tool named "WinSW" to install the runtime as a service.

It worked well and has interesting options (especially for logging)

https://github.com/winsw/winsw

1 person likes this

Hi Nicolas,
Thank you for your feedback. 

It will enable other users to use another alternative. 

Have a nice day.

Hello @Laurent and @Nicolas,

I am interessted to see how you manage this issue. If you can share some examples/

Regards

Hello,

We installed both jdk 11 and 21.

We use jdk 21 to run the runtime but we used jdk 11 to install it as a service (modifying the JAVA environment variables)

Sincerely,

Laurent

Login to post a comment